1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (ESV) - Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. (25) Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. (26) So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. (27) But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
Coming out of four weeks of rest, reflection, reading, prayer, and family time, I can say without a doubt that my biggest personal conviction and rebuke from the Lord is in this area: Personal Discipline. (Sigh)
As glad as I am that the Lord "discplines those He loves" (Heb 12:6), it ain't fun. I basicallly found out that the limiter on accomplishing what He has asked me to do is mostly a time management issue for me. I know what to do...but it's the doing.....
Sooooo...after repenting and begging the Lord not to take away the grace I've been given in ministry because of my lack of diligence, I've recommitted to:
- Rise earlier and pray more.
- Spend significant time reading and writing and educating my children.
- Spend less time with novelties, media, golf, and my old nemesis...TV. (Double sigh. Even the wholesome/educational dvds we watch can be massive time wasters if not kept in moderation!)
- Spend more time in personal evangelism.
- Continue and improve upon my family worship leadership.
- Get in shape and eat better.
- Pray more about #6. LOL.
I hear you Lord....loud and clear. Life is short. Thank you for the refocus and thank you for not giving up on me.
Hey, any of you have any personal discipline stories or encouragement? Anybody want to take up this challenge with me to be more productive for the Kingdom?