The following 10 tips comes from a book recommended to me by a pastor friend. It looks good...gonna download it! It's called 88 Daddy-Daughter Dates by Rob and Joanna Teigen. Enjoy!
10 Tips for a Successful Daddy-Daughter Date
- Have fun—leave your cares behind and just focus on your daughter.
- As much as possible keep that Smartphone put away. Don’t try to talk to your daughter and text, answer email, or surf the Web at the same time.
- Really listen to your daughter. Don’t be too quick to give your opinion or “fix” her issues. Seek to understand her more than to be understood.
- Don’t be afraid to redo or scrap a date that isn’t working. As you know, with kids there are moods involved and different personalities. If you’ve had an awesome time, though, try that date again and again!
- BE YOU! You don’t have to pretend to love shopping at the mall. And she doesn’t have to be thrilled about a football game. If the focus is on your time with each other rather than the “entertainment,” it’s all good.
- Don’t be overly task-oriented. The goal is to connect with your daughter, not get through every detail in the book.
- You’ll get more comfortable with all the material and dates the more you do them.
- Set a goal to learn something new about your daughter every time you go out together.
- Before you go out on your dates, pray that God will prepare both your hearts for the conversations you’ll have and the memories you’ll create.
- Build anticipation. Let your daughter know ahead of time that you’re excited about spending time with her. Let her know it’s a big deal to you.
Why is this important to me? :)